The Grotta Ulari, first inhabited during the late Neolithic period (3500 BC) bears the oldest evidence of the presence of humankind in this territory that unfurls between 400 and 700 metres above sea level in the northern part of the Sorres plain, along the valley of the Rio Frida, south of Monte Pelao. Not by chance, the original village was called Gruta (grotto), before the name was transformed into Borutta. The small village of Meilogu – with less than 300 inhabitants – was one of the first three Italian Municipalities to elect a female mayor, with Ninetta Bartoli’s appointment in 1946. The symbol of the village is the famous San Pietro di Sorres church, recognised as a national monument since 1894. Together with the Basilica di Santissima Trinità di Saccargia, it is one of the most famous places of worship in Sardinia. Built between the 12th and 13th centuries, it was the cathedral of the (former) diocese of Sorres until 1505.