It is located in the gorge of Gutturu Carboni, at the foot of mount Uda, in an area rich in deposits exploited since Antiquity. Gonnesa is a village in the Iglesiente area, with approximately five thousand inhabitants, that extends around the church of Sant'Andrea Apostolo, built between the 11th and 13th centuries in Romanesque style, which is very clear when looking at its façade. Since the 14th century, it has been characterized by extraction activities, which became very intense from the beginning of the nineteenth century until after the Second World War. In May 1906, the centre was the stage of an uprising, the purpose of which was to demand more humane working conditions, but this was violently repressed by the police (three dead and 17 injured). Agricultural tradition is also strong: it returns in August during the feast of traditional bread and at the beginning of September during the celebration of Sant'Isoldoro in the Nuraxi Figus district.