It is situated by Mount Navrino, in a spectacular landscape characterized by trachyte peaks and a carpet of Mediterranean shrubs and century-old cork oak woods, such as Silva Manna. Montresta is a small town of over 500 inhabitants in Planargia, on the border with Logudoro of Porto Torres. It is known for its weaving: its craftsmen produce beautiful hand-made baskets of rush and asphodel. Currently, the town is located near Bosa, 40 kilometres from Alghero and 80 from Oristano, the capital. It was founded around 1750, when the town was still called Villa San Cristoforo (even earlier, in the Medieval period, it was called Suttamonte), after the Church of San Cristoforo Martire, constructed in early 17th century. Greco-Corsican (Maniot) settlers in search of a new home were invited by king Carl Emmanuel III to populate this area and work the land.