It is one of the best preserved medieval Romanesque-Pisan buildings on the island. The church of Santa Maria stands on a slight plateau, surrounded by hills planted with vines and olive groves, three kilometres from the town of Serdiana, in the historic territory of Parteolla, where between the villa of Sibiola prospered from the 12th to 16th century. The rural 'tempietto' was probably built around 1125, made in sandstone by workers called by the Benedictines of the Abbey of San Vittore di Marsiglia, who settled in the southern Campidano area between the late 11th and early 12th centuries and contributed greatly to the development of the rural village. The first written record of Santa Maria di Sibiola is later (1215), and was still the property of the Benedictines of San Vittore in 1338. The church was named a few years later.