Once famous for its wheat, the town is now known for its rugs, and has been part of the Borghi autentici d’Italia circuit since 2012. Bolotana has around 2600 inhabitants and is located on a hilltop, including a vast area running from the Marghine mountains to the middle valley of the Tirso, including the hills and forests of Badde Salighes and Ortachis along with the village of Santa Maria ‘e Sauccu. The setting has a range of different landscapes, with numerous springs that feed the River Coghinas, River Temo and River Tirso. Thanks to the fertile land, in the past the town was known as the granary of the province of Nuoro.
It's ancient name, Golòthana or Golòssene, which is still used in the nearby towns, first appeared in 1341 in the Rationes decimarum. The historic centre has medieval architecture with narrow and irregular roads that form an intricate "tangle".