Famous for the production of cork, which has made it one of the richest Sardinian locations (and has ranked it amongst the top 100 most industrialised municipalities in Italy since 1979), Calangianus lies in a basin 500 metres above sea level, protected by granite and wooded hills of the Limbara massif, in the deepest parts of Gallura. The first mention of Calangianus, identified in Antiquity with the oppidum of Calangiani on the road between Olbia and Tibula (today’s Castelsardo), dates back to 1100. Its historic centre consists of streets paved in granite (another aspect of its prosperity), with stone houses arranged around the parish church of Santa Giusta. Also characterised by a 14th-century granite façade, it was enriched in the 16th century by a painting depicting the Assumption and in the early-20th century by frescoes and marble works. The Museo Diocesano d’Arte Sacra (Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art) is an exhibition space housed within the Oratory of Nostra Signora del Rosario, adjacent to the parish church. Here, a collection of precious pieces dating back to the 16th and 18th centuries can be admired, being especially liturgical objects.