Its short but intense life lasted about a century, during which time it was built, besieged, destroyed and abandoned, becoming a symbol of a decisive phase of Sardinian history. The Castle of Sassai, also known as Orguglioso, was built on behalf of the Judicate of Cagliari, controlled by Pisa at that time, in the 13th century, with a purpose common to many other of the island’s medieval fortresses: that of defending the borders between enemy judicates. It is no coincidence that it was built high up, on a hill of the plateau four kilometres from Silius, so that it could watch over the territory and protect the nearby village of Sassai, of which no traces remain. The most famous, legendary story linked to the castle dates back to 1353, at the beginning of the Sardinian-Catalan war: after becoming an Aragonese possession - along with the entire Judicate of Cagliari - it was attacked by partisans from Cagliari on behalf of Mariano IV of Arborea. Some sources mention the presence of 700 horsemen and a large infantry defending the castle. Nevertheless, these were not sufficient to ward off the attack. The judge decided to order its destruction and, after the truce signed the following year, the Spanish Crown chose not to rebuild it.