“While traveling he came to a mountain where there was a road that could have been shorter and straighter when passing through” The Legenda sanctissimi Georgii presulis suellinsis, a hagiographic document of 1117 on the life of San Giorgio, the first bishop of the diocese of Barbaria, tells us that, during a pastoral visit to Osini, he reached the foot of an inaccessible mountain. Tired from his journey and thinking about the hardships of the wayfarers, the Saint prayed that a passage would open up to make the journey shorter and easier. Nearby, he also caused the spring of s'abba de sa santidade (water of holiness) to appear – now a destination for pilgrimages – to further alleviate the fatigue of the wayfarers. In the 14th century, in honour of the ‘miracle’, the inhabitants of Osini named a small church at the foot of the mountain after him. Thus, according to legend, the Scala (Staircase) di San Giorgio was created, also known as the Gola (Canyon) or the Arco (Arch) of San Giorgio, recognised as a natural monument in 1994. It is located 900 metres above sea level along the rock faces that delimit, to the east, the large limestone-dolomitic taccu of Osini which overlooks the village that ‘lived’ twice.