"It represents the peak of water temple architecture. Its proportions are so balanced (...), its geometric composition so exact (...), so rational (...), that it doesn't seem possible (...) for it to have been built around the year 1000 BC". This is how the 'father' of Sardinian Archaeology, Giovanni Lilliu, describes the well temple of Santa Cristina, the sacred nuragic area par excellence, built on a basalt plateau in the territory of the nearby town of Paulilatino. The name derives from the adjacent rural church of Santa Cristina, dating back to the 11th century, of which only part of the apse remains, along with 36 muristenes, characteristic houses that still host the pilgrims during the celebration of novenas in mid-May in honour of the saint and at the end of October in honour of the Archangel Raphael.
The archaeological site is located a few dozen metres from the medieval Christian church, surrounded by green olive trees. It is divided into two nuclei: in the first you will find a well temple dating back to the final Bronze Age (12th century BC), set in a sacred enclosure (themenos) shaped like a 'lock'. Built with finely worked basalt blocks using accurate techniques, the temple is a jewel with perfect geometric shapes.