Its domes are easy to recognise from numerous panoramic points in Cagliari, its steps are set between the narrow streets of the Stampace district in Cagliari and it is one of the most spectacular sights in the city centre. Today, the Church of Sant’Anna presents itself in recent Baroque style, but its origins probably date back to the 13th century, closely linked to the history of the city. The Judicate capital of Santa Igia was wiped out around the middle of the 13th century by the Pisans, who established the centre of their dominion in the Castello district, which was especially fortified. The population settled at the foot of the fortifications, giving rise to Stampace, and elected Sant’Anna as their patron saint, building a small church in her honour, probably Romanesque style. The medieval sanctuary was demolished in 1785 and the foundation stone of the new church was laid based on a design attributed to the Piedmontese architect Giuseppe Viana. Construction proceeded very slowly and the inauguration took place in 1818, when the bell towers and main altar were still missing.